Garlic and White Wine Cod with Lemon Butter Asparagus
Spring is now in full swing, April showers and all! On the upside all the lovely things that springtime brings are now coming into season, including asparagus. We popped down to the Sidings recently to pick some up and couldn’t resist getting some nice fresh cod fillets to go with it. Lemon, butter, garlic and wine all tend to go well with fish and asparagus so we’ve fused them together to create this light and fresh dish. It’s simple and really quick. We like serving it up with crusty bread but it would also go really well with some buttered new potatoes.
Author: The Hungry Bears Blog
- Preheat your oven to 200°C. Using a large piece of foil on a baking tray place the cod fillets in the centre and fold up the edges.
- Add the wine, garlic, onion, parsley, olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Fold the foil up so that all the sides create a parcel. Don’t worry about it not looking too neat as long as the foil is sealed at the edges.
- Place the tray in the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
- With the asparagus, snap off the lower ends they should snap where they are tender.
- Place in a large saucepan and and cover with boiling water.
- Cook on high for 6 minutes until tender and then drain.
- Return the asparagus to the warm pan and add the butter, lemon and some cracked black pepper. Turn the spears to ensure they are coated.
- Place the asparagus on serving plates. Remove the fish from the oven and place the fillets on top of the asparagus.
- Using a spoon pour the remaining sauce in the foil over the fish. Serve up with a slice of lemon and some fresh crusty bread.