Lemon and Orange Drizzle Cake
A light, simple cake, perfect as a light dessert or with a cup of tea.
Author: Brian Grogan
Recipe type: Cake
- 250g self raising flour
- 85g ground almonds
- 225g butter
- 225g sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- 110g marmalade
- the juice and zest of one lemon
- For the drizzle:
- The juice and zest of half a lemon and half a mandarin or small orange.
- 3 tbsp natural yoghurt
- Icing sugar
- Put all the ingredients (other than those for making the drizzle) into a mixing bowl and whisk together until light and fluffy.
- Pour into a greased loaf tin and bake at 170C for 45 minutes. Take a look after 40 minutes as it can go from golden to burnt very quickly. Use a skewer to probe the inside. If it can be removed without any of the cake sticking, it's ready.
- To make the drizzle, add the juice and zest the half lemon and orange to enough icing sugar to make a thick sherbet paste and mix in 3 tablespoons of plain yoghurt.
- Leave the cake to rest for 15 minutes, then prick the top of the cake all over with a skewer and pour the drizzle on top, ladling the run off back to the top until most of the top of the cake is covered and it has seeped into the cake.