Olive Oil Cake with Orange Crème Fraîche
Cake might not be the first thing that comes to mind when cooking with olive oil but in this instance its worth experimenting with. We’ve knocked up a tasty cake using olive oil form The Sidings that has a delicate flavour, sweet tasting (not savoury!) and light in texture, which complements the orange that’s included really well, especially the indulgent creme fraiche. Give it a try and let us know what you think!
Author: The Hungry Bears' Blog
Recipe type: Dessert
- Preheat your oven to 175ºC. Grease a 20cm round cake tin with olive oil and line with the base with baking paper.
- In a large bowl whisk together the sugar and eggs for a few minutes until light in colour and well mixed. Next slowly add in the olive oil to the mixture a bit at a time and continue to whisk.
- When the oil has been incorporated then add the orange zest, juice and the vanilla and mix again.
- Now that the wet mixture is ready, sift the flour into a separate bowl and mix together with the hemp seeds, baking powder and salt. Start to add a bit of the dry mixture to the wet a little at a time, gently folding it in until you have a smooth batter.
- Pour the mix into the tin and ensure it is evenly spread. Place in the middle of your preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- When cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 10-15 minutes. While cooling mix the creme fraiche, icing sugar and remaining orange zest together and chill.
- Serve up your cake slices with a drizzle of honey and a generous dollop of the creme fraiche.