Smokey Eggs Benedict
What better way to start the day than with eggs? Well with eggs Benedict of course! There's something so delicious about the ham and egg combination, along with the rich hollandaise, that makes egg Benedict one of our ultimate ways to start the day. We've made our version even more delicious by using smoked ham and a sprinkle of smoked paprika on top. Perfect! Don't be put off if you're a veggie either, this recipe works equally well by switching out the ham for spinach, mushrooms or even asparagus.
Author: The Hungry Bears Blog
Recipe type: Breakfast
- Set the ham out at room temperature to warm up.
- For the Hollandaise melt the butter in a small pan on a low heat and set aside.
- In a separate pan set some water on a gentle simmer. Using a heatproof bowl over the top of the pan whisk together the egg yolks, lemon juice and mustard. Whilst continuing to whisk slowly add the melted butter to the mixture a little at a time. When all the melted butter has been whisked in take off the heat and set the pan and bowl aside to keep warm. If the mixture happens to split whisk together a little melted butter and an additional egg yolk and whisk into the main mixture to bring back together.
- Set another pan of water on a gentle simmer. Add a splash of vinegar to the pan a stir to create a vortex. Add the eggs to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes for runny or 4 minutes for firm, depending on their size.
- While the eggs cook put the sliced muffins onto toast for a couple of minutes until lightly toasted on both sides.
- To serve arrange 1 or 2 of slices of the smoked ham on top of the muffin halves. When the eggs are ready place on top of the ham. Gently spoon over a couple of good tablespoons of the hollandaise sauce and finally sprinkle each of the eggs with a dusting of smoked paprika.