Spicy Roast Parsnip Soup
A spicy and rich soup perfect for miserable winter evenings.
Author: Brian Grogan
Recipe type: Soup
- 100g butter
- 800g parsnips
- 400g carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 chili (jalapeno, serrano or cayenne)
- 6 cloves of garlic and an equal amount of ginger, blended into a paste with 2 tbsp water
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander seeds
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1l chicken or beef stock
- 500g tomato pasata or tinned tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Roast the diced carrots and parsnips in a large oiled pan at 200C for 30-40 minutes until they are tender and beginning to brown.
- In a large pot, fry the diced onion in the butter on a medium-high heat until brown, then add the chili, the ginger/garlic paste and the ground spices and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the roasted vegetables and the stock, deglazing the pot as necessary.
- Add the tomatoes, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Liquidise the soup and add liquid or reduce as necessary.
- Just before serving, add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.